Bargello iPhone Case

I ordered one of those fancy cross stitch-able iPhone cases on the Internet, in black. I didn’t know what to expect, but I am pretty pleased with it!

First off, the rubber is quite bendy, making it a bit harder to navigate your needle into the corners. The squares are also all perfect, so there is no need to be piercing through the plastic at any point. The holes are kinda small, but I think it’s only because I am being stubborn and using the whole six strands of my DMC floss. Why am I being stubborn? Cause I’m trying Bargello for the first time and want the best coverage possible.

According to Wikipedia: Bargello is a type of needlepoint embroidery consisting of upright flat stitches laid in a mathematical pattern to create motifs. The name originates from a series of chairs found in the Bargello palace in Florence, which have a “flame stitch” pattern.

A few years ago I found a book in a used book store called The New World of Needlepoint. It has super awesome, super sixties/seventies designs for needlepoint, Bargello and cross stitch, in absolutely terrible colour schemes. Of course I loved it and had to buy it. I had never had any canvas to work with, so I had simply looked through it up to now.

I was totally going to do cross stitch on the phone case; I even found this awesome blank template in order to map out what my pattern would look like. And then, I saw the worn purple book on my bookshelf, and all thoughts of cross stitch flew out of my head. After poring over the illustrations a few times, I finally settled on a simpler pattern, mostly because I didn’t know how hard working with the plastic case would be.

I did decide to change it up a bit near the middle, doing a full set of rows twice as tall as the rest of the case to break it up. I really love how it looks, and I love the colours I chose too. The best way to work Bargello, according to the book, is to work one horizontal line very carefully and slowly; the ones above and below it will fall naturally into place after it!  Again, I was being stubborn, and had the hurt fingers to go with it; by the end, I was using a small pair of pliers to pull the needle through, and that worked great.  With a few breaks, I finished the piece in about two days, so I’m super proud.

All photos for this post were taken with my iPhone, because I am a dork.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s