I finished my secret project! My brother-in-law proposed to his girlfriend in a yurt (which is the Mongolian equivalent to a tipi), and since they just bought a house, I figured this would be a cute housewarming present. I’ve once again used the Circular Scroll Alphabet Sampler pattern from Kinkavel Crosses, which I used previously in my George RR Martin piece.
I’m quite happy with the final product, even if there are a few mistakes, but I am super happy to be done with the stupid fabric it was stitched on. Never have I worked with evenweave so uneven and so loose. It is gross. I am throwing out my leftover pieces as soon as I get back home. Working with this fabric was a nightmare, and my stitches had to be quite loose in order not to pull the fabric out of shape.
This was not a relaxing, easy piece of work. It’s also so thin that you can see all the thread traveling in the back, which isn’t as tidy as I would like it. The other issue I have with it is that it really needs to be backed onto a darker fabric to look right, and my poor brother-in-law will probably have to get it framed professionally because the fabric weft and warp is looser than any other fabric I’ve ever seen. It honestly feels like a sharp tug could turn the fabric square into a rhombus permanently.
The moral of this story is: take fabric out of the package if at all possible before you buy it, and don’t buy fabric for a special project five days before you get on a plane to another country.